Thursday, February 25, 2010

Need by Carrie Jones



Need

Author: Carrie Jones

Publication: December 23rd 2008 by Bloomsbury USA

Goodreads summary: Zara collects phobias the way other high school girls collect lipsticks. Little wonder, since life's been pretty rough so far. Her father left, her stepfather just died, and her mother's pretty much checked out. Now Zara's living with her grandmother in sleepy, cold Maine so that she stays & safe. Zara doesn't think she's in danger; she thinks her mother can't deal.

Wrong. Turns out that guy she sees everywhere, the one leaving trails of gold glitter, isn't a figment of her imagination. He's a pixie and not the cute, lovable kind with wings. He's the kind who has dreadful, uncontrollable needs. And he's trailing Zara.

My review: I got SOOO much hype about this book and it didn't measure up to being half as good as I heard. Oh well to each her own right? Not that I'm saying it was bad, truthfully it was really good. I liked it very much honest, I'm not lying. It just didn't live up, much like the Twilight books which were more bad than good. Yeah, the first was okay but it went down hill from there. BUT! I'm not reviewing Twilight so too bad. Need was original-ish I mean evil pixies? Never heard it before but she pulled it off quite well. One thing that irritated me a little was the super hero complex that like EVERYONE (who was supposed to be good) had. "I NEED to save everyone I NEED to be the hero. Need need need!" no wonder that's the books title. "Oh no I can't have a car because there are people in the world who don't have them!" They didn't actually say these things but it felt like it. Still with that mentality you might as well starve or get AIDS. If you have what others don't and you need it then don't feel bad, be happy you were lucky at all. Caring about people is great, really, I admired it a bit but it was a little over zealous. Like a bunch of teens writing to dictators to set free prisoners is going to make a difference but I understand the need to help even a little. I love heroes as well but I don't like selfish heroes which were BIG in this book. Yeah it's a nice thought but come on everyone needs help, take it willingly and love the people who offer it (unless they are psycho then you don't have to love or take they're advice lol). All in all I enjoyed this book and I will most likely read the next in the series which you may know is Captivate. Besides what is a little constructive criticism? I'll give it an even 4/5

1 comment:

  1. I bought this recently and I'm hoping for a 4/5 when I read it.

    ReplyDelete