Monday, February 8, 2010

Bones of Faerie

Bones of Faerie

Author: Janni Lee Simner

Publication: January 27th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (info from Goodreads)

Back of the book Summary:

Magic was never meant for our world, Father said, and of course I'd agreed, though the War had ended and the faerie folk returned to their own places before I was born. We knew the rules. Don't touch any stone that glows with faerie light. Don't venture out alone into the dark. And cast out the magic born among you, before it can turn on its parents.

Towns had died for not understanding that much. But the memory of my sister's bones, cracked and bloody in the moonlight, haunts me still.

My Review:

I really, really enjoyed this book. Though I will admit at first the main character, Liza, annoyed me with her denial of what's going on. She gets a whole lot better so don't get to discouraged. This book is set after the faerie and the humans have a huge war. During the war, the faerie made it so that the plants will attack people (hence don't walk alone at night). That's not the only magic that was released; some of the children that were born after the war start gaining magical abilities as well.

Liza's mother leaves, after her new born was cast out and subsequently killed, and Liza ends up searching for her. Liza meets some interesting characters along the way, including some people who know about her mother and about what's happening to Liza herself.

This book is simply amazing, Simner did a wonderful job catching my attention. I could hardly put the book down! It was weird reading how Liza never saw a paved road or a car until she found them abandoned and broken on her journey. Every post apocalyptic book I have read occurred during or shortly after the book had started, or so far in the future such things seemed to never have existed. I believe this is a MUST read because it was simply brilliant and original, yet similar like a twist on an old fairy tale(pun intended :P). Faeries might not be new but you've probably never seen them like this!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. It is still on my shelf needing to be read.

    ReplyDelete