Monday, February 22, 2010

In the Forests of the Night by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes



In the Forests of the Night

Author: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Publication: May 9th 2000 by Laurel Leaf (first published 1999)

Goodreads summary: Three-hundred-year-old Risika looks darn good for her age. Thanks to her "blood mother," a vampire named Ather who turned Risika into one of the undead back in 1684, she will always look as fresh as a 17-year-old. Now Risika is a world weary night stalker who sleeps in Concord, Massachusetts, by day and prowls New York City by night, in search of fresh blood to slake her inhuman thirst. One of the benefits of living such a long life has been discovering that most of the popular myths about vampires are not true: "Holy water and crosses do not bother me... and silver does not burn me. If someone hammered a stake through my heart, I suppose I would die, but I do not play with humans, stakes or mallets." In fact, there is little in the mortal world that surprises Risika anymore, until she returns from a hunt one night to find a black rose on her pillow--the same flower she was given on the eve of her mortal death. Knowing that the rose is a taunt from Aubrey, a vampire she believes murdered her human brother, Risika decides to confront her nemesis. In a bloody battle with Aubrey, Risika finally unearths her brother's true fate.

My Review: Let me just say AMAZING for a 14 year old to write (yep she wrote it at 14!). BUT!! one problem is I read the second in the Den of shadows series first (or so they're called now) called Demon in my View which was freaking amazing. So by comparison this one was less awesome but still good. I'd say these are geared more toward the young to middle teens but still pretty sweet. I'd say give them a try anyways go get them at the library that's where I first got them (though i did by them after :D lols). Besides it was less than 200 pages an easy read in my book I'd say 3 - 3.5/5 just cause I'm not feeling particularly generous tonight. There are like 4 or 5 in the series, I can't be sure but I think I read them all. Truthfully it doesn't have to be read in order I didn't read them that way ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment