Saturday, March 20, 2010

Marked (House of Night #1)


Marked (House of Night #1)

Authors: P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast

Publication: May 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2007)

Goodreads Summary: The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire--that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It’s tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends

My Review: I really liked this book even though it's ANOTHER Vampire finishing school type deal. I still can't get enough Ha Ha. The main character is super exceptional and humble which is definitely NOT new but I like that they counter balanced it with attitude and sarcasm. (After all sarcasm is my middle name). Usually with the exceptional/humble types, a lot of the time you see them as kind of a push over or easily taken advantage of (kind of like Lissa in Vampire Academy). So that's one thing I really liked about this book is that she could take charge and think for herself.

There was some problems I had with this book too, there was a lot of convenient things that happen in the end. Like people just HAPPENED to be there at the right time and someone just HAPPENED to make a huge mistake at the end when it seems like they had been training and doing the thing they made a mistake on for a few years. But you know it is what it is and you'll understand what I'm talking about it read/have read it. One other thing is that I could tell sometimes when it was the mother writing and the daughter writing and boy does the mother hate saggers and tight-jeaned emos lol it was pretty funny, but that also made it hard to sting the story along properly; It was very hard for me to see and hold onto the images while the writing style changed.

Over all though I really enjoyed this book and recommend it, you just have to kind of smooth over the seams so to speak. I'm currently reading the second one called Betrayed so once I finish that one I'll also put it up on here. So far it's good but I haven't read that far. I give Marked a good 3.75/5 (yeah three quarters, what!) love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a year ago. I'd like to read the whole series, but I'm taking a break from vampires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back to inform you that I left a blog award for you on my blog.
    http://sharifwrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete