Friday, March 12, 2010

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones


Howl's Moving Castle

Author: Diana Wynne Jones

Publication: August 1st 2001 by Eos (first published 1986)

Goodreads Summary: In the land of Ingary, such things as spells, invisible cloaks, and seven-league boots were everyday things. The Witch of the Waste was another matter.

After fifty years of quiet, it was rumored that the Witch was about to terrorize the country again. So when a moving black castle, blowing dark smoke from its four thin turrets, appeared on the horizon, everyone thought it was the Witch. The castle, however, belonged to Wizard Howl, who, it was said, liked to suck the souls of young girls.

The Hatter sisters--Sophie, Lettie, and Martha--and all the other girls were warned not to venture into the streets alone. But that was only the beginning.

In this giant jigsaw puzzle of a fantasy, people and things are never quite what they seem. Destinies are intertwined, identities exchanged, lovers confused. The Witch has placed a spell on Howl. Does the clue to breaking it lie in a famous poem? And what will happen to Sophie Hatter when she enters Howl's castle?

My Review: Howl's Moving Castle is not only a totally amazing movie but a book as well! In fact I kind of like the book better but the movie was fantastic as well. I watched the movie first but when my sis bought the book I just HAD to read it. It's a wonderful mix of Magic, romance and adventure. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes those qualities. P.S. my sis (theneverendingshelf.com) has a Recommend Me post about it over at her blog (but she's crazy, because she likes the movie better.) Ha Ha but I digress, Both the book and movie are splendid and I recommend both. I give the book a 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I know that we disagree on this book, but it is ok. I understand that you are a little weird in liking the book better. It will be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both too!! I found the book a bit slow though. I still loved how there was more to the story :)

    ReplyDelete